The classic, comforting soup… in casserole form!
This Chicken Noodle Veggie Casserole has all the elements of the classic, comforting soup and more! Casseroles are one of the easiest dishes to prepare. This Chicken Noodle Veggie Casserole is quick to make and is mixed in one bowl…aka minimal mess and dishes! It is perfect to serve on a cold winter’s night or whenever you’re in need of a healthier version of your favorite comfort meal. The whole family is guaranteed to love it!
Chicken Noodle Veggie Casserole
- 1 box (8oz) chickpea, lentil, or whole grain pasta uncooked
- 1 bag (16oz) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 bunch broccoli chopped
- 8 oz white mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 1/2-2 cups no salt added or low sodium vegetable, chicken, or bone broth
- 2 cans (10.5oz) cream of cauliflower, chicken, or mushroom
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a 9×13 glass dish with olive oil spray.
- In a large bowl (or 9×13 glass dish) add all ingredients, as described under ingredient list. Note: pasta does not need to be pre-cooked prior to cooking casserole.
- Stir well until combined.
- If you used a large bowl to stir, transfer mixture into 9×13 glass dish.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- After 30 minutes, if casserole is not bubbling, increase heat to 400F. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until you see small bubbles around corners of the pan.
- Serve warm.
- Store in airtight containers for up to 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Love this recipe but want to individualize it to your unique body and nutritional needs?
Let’s connect and personalize it together! Get started HERE.
The Ingredients and Swap Outs
- Chickpea Pasta
- As many of you already know, I LOVE Banza pasta. It is a pasta made from chickpeas and is loaded with protein and fiber. Not a chickpea fan? I still encourage you to try it out! Still not feeling it? Feel free to swap this to any pasta of your liking! You can even take the pasta out for a lower carb meal.
- This recipe is LOADED with veggies and is a great way to sneak in some nutrients and fiber for all of the non-veggie lovers out there. If you want to keep it simple you can just add the frozen mixed vegetables. I also added broccoli, mushrooms, and onion for added taste, texture, and nutrients. This recipe is versatile, so feel free to add or omit any veggies of your liking!
- Chicken Bone Broth
- Bone broth is high in collagen and rich in vitamins and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and phosphorous. Collagen is a protein and is actually the most abundant protein in our body. Collagen is the “glue” that holds everything together in your body, including your connective tissues, bones, cartilage, skin, nail, hair, etc. The cells in your body produce collagen naturally, although as we get older our bodies gradually produce less collagen, leading to possible thinning of hair, wrinkles, and achy joints. Adding bone broth is a great way to get an additional source or protein and collagen!
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup
- Most chicken noodle casseroles call for “cream of chicken”, but this recipe is unique in that it calls for Cream of Cauliflower soup. I used the brand, Pacific Foods, which is organic and lower in sodium than most traditional condensed canned soups.
- Because this recipe calls for pre-cooked chicken make sure to plan ahead. Check out my Easy Crockpot Chicken recipe for a simple way to prepare chicken without a lot of extra work. A rotisserie chicken also works wonders in this Chicken Noodle Veggie Casserole! The prep time is minimal, but tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen. When buying rotisserie chicken, double check to see if your store carries a low sodium option.
- This recipe is simple, short and sweet. The only spices you need to have on hand are garlic powder, onion powder, and salt/pepper.
- Parmesan Cheese
- This ingredient is optional, but also adds loads of flavor and a little extra creaminess. Feel free to fully omit or switch up with your favorite cheese of choice!
Two steps is all it takes!
- Step One: Add all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Step Two: Pour mixture into 9×13 pan and bake for 30 minutes at 375F, stirring halfway through. If it is not bubbling yet after 30 minutes, turn up oven to 400F and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU TRY IT!
Don’t forget to share your creation on social media by tagging @nutritionwellnesslifestyle_ on Instagram!