A family favorite Low Carb Italian Meal!
This Grilled Caprese Chicken is the perfect summer meal. The classic caprese combination of fresh mozzarella, ripe tomatoes, garden-picked basil, and aged balsamic drizzle topped on grilled chicken breast is irresistible. This recipe is SO flavorful, yet so simple. You can put this meal together in under 30 minutes from start to finish. Nothing complicated about it- just simple, whole food ingredients that taste like magic. Add this Grilled Chicken Caprese to your summer dinner rotation and I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Grilled Caprese Chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella sliced into 8 even slices
- 1 vine ripened tomato sliced into 1/2" slices
- fresh basil to garnish
- balsamic glaze to taste
- Prepare the chicken by placing onto a sheet of parchment paper, folding paper over the chicken, and pounding to even thickness. Set aside and repeat with remaining breasts until all are approximately 1” thick.
- Combine Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper into a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Brush the chicken with olive oil. Sprinkle with seasoning blend. Flip the chicken over and repeat.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat. Place the chicken breasts on the grill and cook 5-6 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reads 155 degrees F.
- Top each chicken breast with 2 slices fresh mozzarella. Cover and continue to grill 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Chicken is fully cooked when the internal temperature reads 165 degrees F.
- Place the chicken breasts on a plate and top each with tomato slices, fresh basil, and balsamic glaze.
- Serve immediately.
Love this recipe but want to individualize it to your unique body and nutritional needs?
Let’s connect and personalize it together! Get started HERE.
Isn’t Caprese a Salad?
Yes, usually Caprese refers to a classic Italian salad made with fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced tomatoes, and basil. You may see it seasoned with salt and pepper and dressed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and/or pesto. It is usually stacked, skewered, or tossed together.
Although these flavors are great in a simple salad, it doesn’t need to be limited to this! These classic ingredients are a no-fail combo and you can include them in many main course dishes such as a pasta dish, a sandwich, or as we are doing here —on top of simple grilled chicken.
Tips for Making Perfect Grilled Caprese Chicken
1. Use the most fresh ingredients you can source. I personally love to make this recipe in the middle of summer when tomatoes have the most flavor. Check out your farmer markets nearby to help support local!
2. Use chicken breasts of even size. Do not forget to pound to an even thickness so they cook at the same rate.
3. DO NOT overcook. It will become dry and chewy. Use a thermometer to ensure your chicken is cooked to a temperature of 165 degrees F WHEN COMPLETED. You should top the chicken with mozzarella at 155 degrees F.
4. To save time, I bought a balsamic vinegar glaze. Although if you have a few extra minutes, I highly recommend creating your own by making a balsamic reduction. To do so:
- Heat 2 cups balsamic vinegar in a small pot or saucepan over medium.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to medium-low heat and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vinegar thickens and is reduced to about 1/2 cup (about 15-20 minutes). It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before serving (about 10-15 minutes). Be sure not to overcook. The vinegar will continue to thicken as it cools.
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU TRY IT!
Don’t forget to share your creation on social media by tagging @nutritionwellnesslifestyle_ on Instagram!