A Freezer friendly meal prep recipe!
These Veggie Turkey Meatballs are an amazing dinner to add to your healthy eating plan this fall and winter. They’re loaded with lean protein, tons of veggies, and lots of delicious flavor! Don’t be intimidated by this large recipe (makes approximately 32 meatballs). They freeze perfectly, which makes for a fabulous recipe to meal prep and have on hand throughout these chilly months!
Veggie Turkey Meatballs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 small onion minced
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup spinach chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup whole grain breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a large baking sheet by lining with oil and spraying with cooking spray.
- Add oil to a medium pan and heat on medium high. Add garlic, onion, bell pepper, carrots, and seasonings. Sauté until onion is tender, approximately 5-6 minutes.
- Add spinach to pan and combine with other veggies. Add Worcestershire sauce and chicken broth. Mix well to combine.
- Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, breadcrumbs, and egg. Add cooled veggie mixture to the meat. I do all of this step with my hands, but you can use a spoon if you prefer.
- With your hands, create meatballs that are about 1 – 2 inches in diameter and place them on the baking sheet. Leave a little bit of space between each meatball.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until your meatballs are cooked through with an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. Remove from pan and serve as desired.
Love this recipe but want to individualize it to your unique body and nutritional needs?
Let’s connect and personalize it together! Get started HERE.
These little Meatballs are so delicious – It’s hard to stop eating them.
Meatballs are one of my favorite ways to eat protein. I love that you can pack in so much yummy flavor! Plus, I love that they are bite-size and can be added to a variety of things. They’re perfect for soups, chilis, salads, energy bowls, pastas, pitas… the list goes on and on. You could even serve them as appetizers with a tasty marinara or a cheese sauce. You can also adjust them to diet preferences and mix up the meat by switching out turkey for chicken, pork, beef or lamb, or combination them… whatever suits your needs or desires.
STEP ONE: SAUTE VEGGIES
STEP TWO: COMBINE TURKEY, BREADCRUMBS, AND EGG
STEP THREE: ROLL INTO MEATBALLS AND BAKE 15-20 MIN.
STEP FOUR: LET EXTRAS COOL AND STORE IN FREEZER BAG
STEP FIVE: SERVE WARM. MEATBALL MEAL IDEAS INCLUDE:
- Mixed with marinara and served over veggie noodles or pasta
- Topped on a pita or a sub sandwich
- As an addition to your favorite veggie soup (tomato basil is my favorite!)
- As a topper on your favorite salad or rice bowl creation
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU TRY IT!
Don’t forget to share your creation on social media by tagging @nutritionwellnesslifestyle_ on Instagram!