The perfect bowl of comfort for cold winter months!
This hearty soup is loaded with ground turkey, veggies, tomatoes, beans, corn, and more! It has similar ingredients to our Healthy Turkey Chili, but is filled with all the favorites you’d get in a burrito bowl. Serve on top of rice and garnish with additional ingredients such as avocado, Greek yogurt, and/or cheese for the perfect warm weather meal!
Instant Pot Burrito Bowl Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 3 tbsp low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 jar (16oz) red salsa
- 1 can (4oz) diced green chilis
- 1 can (15oz) low sodium or no salt added diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium or no salt added bone or chicken broth
- 1 can (15oz) low sodium or no salt added black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15oz) low sodium or no salt added pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15oz) low sodium or no salt added corn rinsed and drained
- For serving (optional): cooked brown rice or cauliflower rice (see. notes*), avocado, Greek yogurt, sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, hot sauce, etc.
- Set Instant Pot to the sauté function.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to Instant Pot. When olive oil becomes fragrant, add onions, garlic, and bell peppers. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until garlic is fragrant and onions are translucent. Stir occasionally.
- Add turkey and cook until no longer pink. Break apart into small pieces as it cooks. Turn Instant Pot off.
- Add all other ingredients to the Instant Pot. Mix everything to combine.
- Close and lock the Instant Pot lid. Make sure the vent is closed.
- Manually set Instant Pot to high pressure and set timer for 8 minutes.
- When timer goes off, carefully release the steam quickly. You can use a pot holder or silicone glove to avoid burns. Always keep your face away from the steam release valve.
- You will know the quick release is complete when you see/heat the float valve (metal pin) drop down. Once that has happened it is safe to open the Instant Pot.
- Serve warm with additional add-ons of choice.
Love this recipe but want to individualize it to your unique body and nutritional needs?
Let’s connect and personalize it together! Get started HERE.
LET’S TALK BASICS
This basic soup recipe calls for meat, veggies, corn, beans, spices, and liquid. Let’s talk through each so you can modify to your liking!
- Protein: I used ground turkey in this recipe, but it can easily be replaced with ground chicken, ground beef, or for a vegetarian dish you can replace with 2 cups dry lentils.
- Beans: Even though this recipe calls for black beans and pinto beans, you can use any of your favorites! Black, pinto, kidney, cannellini, or garbanzo are a few of my favorite additions! Not a bean lover? Feel free to omit the beans and add 1/2 pound more meat or lentils.
- Veggies: The secret nutritional bonus! I add onion, garlic, red pepper, green pepper, tomatoes, and corn to mine. Feel free to omit any (other than the tomatoes- that helps give the texture and liquid) or add additional such as spinach or chopped carrots.
- TIP: Use pre-cut veggies found in the produce or frozen section to save SO MUCH TIME.
- Spices: This is what makes this recipe SHINE. This recipe calls for a low sodium taco seasoning that you can buy in the store, but you can easily make a homemade blend as well.
- Liquid: Some of the liquid comes from the tomatoes, salsa, and green chilis, but you also want to add some type of broth. I used chicken bone broth in this recipe, but you can also add a veggie broth, if preferred.
- Optional Add-Ons: Because I believe it’stechnically not a burrito bowl without some rice thrown into the mix, I snuck some in there too. Personally, I like to cook my brown rice separately and add it to the bottom of my soup bowl before serving. But you can absolutely add it to the soup itself as well. For a lower carb soup, omit the rice or replace with cooked cauliflower rice. Other toppings of choice may include avocado, Greek yogurt, sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, hot sauce, etc. The choices are endless, just like a burrito bowl!
- Sauté veggies
- Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink
- Add all additional ingredients. Stir to combine. Set high pressure to 8 minutes. Quick release steam.
- Stir, dish, top, and enjoy!
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU TRY IT!
Don’t forget to share your creation on social media by tagging @nutritionwellnesslifestyle_ on Instagram!