I’ve been a fan of energy balls for years and they still top the list of meal prep recipes for me. I usually make some sort of energy ball every week and these Lemon Poppyseed Energy Bites are perfect for the summertime! If you enjoy lemon treats then you will love these! They are the perfect small breakfast, balanced mid-day pick-me-up or evening treat!
Lemon Poppyseed Energy Bites
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup quick or steel cut oats
- 2 scoops vanilla or unflavored protein powder (I used Vega Protein Made Simple)
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 3 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 lemon juiced + the zest
- Combine dry ingredients (almond flour, coconut flour, quick or steel cut oats, protein powder, and poppyseeds) in a large bowl. Mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, melt coconut oil in the microwave for approximately 20-40 seconds, or until fully melted.
- Add wet ingredients (maple syrup, lemon juice, and lemon zest) to coconut oil. Stir to combine.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients using a spatula then your hands. It should form a firm, cookie-dough consistency.
- Take approximately 1 tbsp of the mixture and roll in hands. If the mixture is too sticky to roll, place in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes or add additional almond flour.
- Roll approximately 16 balls and place on parchment or wax paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Store in airtight container in refrigerator or freezer.
Love this recipe but want to individualize it to your unique body and nutritional needs?
Let’s connect and personalize it together! Get started HERE.
Most of these ingredients you may already have on hand! But if you don’t like something or don’t have it on hand, feel free to replace with an alternative. Energy bites are pretty forgiving. You just need a bunch of dry stuff and little wet and sticky stuff to keep it together. Since they are no bake, they don’t require precise measuring and they aren’t an exact science. Feel free to play around with the ingredients and quantities!
- Almond Flour: I used a combination of almond flour, coconut flour, and oats to get a variety of nutrients, flavors, and textures. Although, if you don’t have all three feel free to pick one or two. You want a total of 1 1/4 cup of flour/oats.
- Coconut Flour: See above under almond flour.
- Oats: See above under almond flour.
- Protein Powder: I used Vega Protein Made Simple, but feel free to use your favorite vanilla or unflavored protein powder of choice.
- Poppyseeds: Don’t have poppyseeds on hand? Simply replace with chia seeds.
- Coconut Oil: Along with the maple syrup, coconut oil is what helps these bites bind together. If you aren’t a coconut fan feel free to place with anything sticky, such as a nut butter (almond butter or cashew butter would work great).
- Maple Syrup: As a sweetener, this can be replaced with honey, date syrup, or liquid sweetener of choice.
- Lemon: As the main flavor of this recipe, I don’t recommend swapping or omitting. BUT if you feel like getting CrAzY, you could swap the fruit and experiment with a new combo (ex. juicing an orange instead of lemon).
Step One: Combine dry ingredients
Step Two: Add wet ingredients
Step Three: Roll into bite size balls
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU TRY IT!
Don’t forget to share your creation on social media by tagging @nutritionwellnesslifestyle_ on Instagram!