Make tonight Italian night with these amazing mini freezer healthy lasagnas.
These individual Mini Freezer Healthy Lasagnas are family-friendly, satisfying, and perfect for portion control! These mini lasagnas are made with a flavorful meat sauce, a delicious cheese mixture, loads of sneaky veggies, and are super easy to make. Prepare ahead of time and store in the freezer to have on hand for those chaotic weekday or weekend nights!
Mini Freezer Healthy Lasagna
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 8 oz white mushrooms sliced
- 5 oz bag spinach
- 8 whole grain lasagna noodles
- 1 lb 93/7 ground beef or ground turkey breast
- 48 oz marinara or pasta sauce (I used Rao’s Tomato Herb sauce)
- 8 oz cottage cheese
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 large egg whisked
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place 8-10 small aluminum loaf pans onto a baking sheet.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
- While lasagna noodles are boiling, chop veggies as described under ingredient list.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and mushrooms. Sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add spinach. Sauté until wilted. Pour vegetable mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- Add ground beef (or turkey) to the same skillet you cooked your veggies in. Cook on medium high heat for 5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Make sure to crumble the beef as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Drain excess fat.
- Add pasta sauce and vegetable mixture to the beef. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, whisked egg, parsley, and salt/pepper (to taste). Stir to combine.
- In the bottom of 8-10 small aluminum loaf pans, add a thin layer of the meat and veggie sauce. Layer with 1/2 lasagna noodle and 1-2 tbsp cheese mixture. Repeat, by topping the cheese mixture with another layer of meat/veggie sauce, 1/2 lasagna noodle, and another 1-2 tbsp cheese mixture. Top with remaining meat and veggie sauce and 1-2 tbsp mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 30-35 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is somewhat crispy. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Serve warm immediately or let the lasagna cool completely before topping with lids and placing in the fridge or freezer. Refrigerate for up to 5 days or keep frozen for up to 3 months.
Reheating Frozen Lasagna
- To prepare, bake uncovered, frozen lasagnas at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- You can also prepare the lasagnas in the microwave. Pop them out of the foil pans, place on a microwave-safe dish, and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes.
- Note: You may need to thaw them slightly in order to be able to remove them from the pans.
Love this recipe but want to individualize it to your unique body and nutritional needs?
Let’s connect and personalize it together! Get started HERE.
The Ingredients and Swap Outs
- Meat Sauce
- This recipe can’t get much simpler. This meat sauce is made by combining 1 large jar (or 2 small jars) of marinara plus ground meat of choice (beef, turkey, pork, chicken, or you can swap meat for lentils, if preferred). Spice it up with a little parsley, salt, and pepper for a sauce that tastes like it was fully made from scratch!
- This recipe is LOADED with veggies and is a great way to sneak in some nutrients and fiber for all of the non-veggie lovers out there. This recipe is versatile, so feel free to add or omit any veggies of your liking!
- Cheese Blend
- This recipe calls for cottage cheese, ricotta, parmesan, and mozzarella, but vegan cheese is more than welcome!
- Lasagna noodles
- This recipe is made with whole grain noodles, but the options are endless! Wanting lower carb meal? Try replacing the noodles with zucchini strips. Want even more fiber? Experiment with a lentil or chickpea noodle.
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU TRY IT!
Don’t forget to share your creation on social media by tagging @nutritionwellnesslifestyle_ on Instagram!