Easy Assembly, Quick Cook Time!
This Simple Shrimp Scampi w/ Asparagus is one of the most simple and tasty ways to cook a pasta dinner. And the best part? Few ingredients which makes for an easy assembly and clean up. It is the perfect choice for a light and refreshing week night meal!
Simple Shrimp Scampi with Asparagus
- 8 oz whole grain spaghetti or pasta of choice
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed and cut into 2″ pieces
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee divided
- 2 tbsp garlic infused olive oil divided (or regular olive oil)
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 12-16 oz shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice approximately 1-2 lemons
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped (ro 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley)
- 1/2 tbsp grated lemon zest
- shredded parmesan to serve (optional)
- red pepper flakes to serve (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1/4 tsp of salt. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain pasta, return to pot and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place a large skillet (I used a cast iron skillet) over medium high heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter or ghee. Once butter is melted, add asparagus, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cook uncovered for 5-6 minutes, or until crisp tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same hot skillet, add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter or ghee. Once butter/ghee is melted, add minced garlic. Sauté, stirring frequently for 1 minute. Add shrimp in a single layer. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Sauté until shrimp are pink and not translucent (about 2 minutes per side). Be careful not to overcook. This will lead to tough and chewy shrimp.
- Add lemon juice, parsley, and lemon zest to shrimp. Stir to combine. Turn off heat. Add pasta and asparagus to the pan. Toss everything to combine.
- Garnish with grated parmesan and red pepper flakes, if desired. Serve warm.
Love this recipe but want to individualize it to your unique body and nutritional needs?
Let’s connect and personalize it together! Get started HERE.
Fear No More!
A question I get on a daily basis is “can I have pasta?”, “how about butter?”. My answer: ALL FOOD FITS.
Unless you are allergic or have a medical condition that requires you to eliminate a food, you can and should be able to eat all foods. This recipe has both pasta and butter in it. And I encourage you to eat it…guilt free! By adding in asparagus, shrimp, and whole grain pasta, you are still getting tons of nutrients, fiber, and protein from this meal. Don’t fear it, enjoy it!
Recipe Swap Outs
If you’re a vegetarian or vegan, no fear! You can simply omit the shrimp and swap the butter for olive oil! Whole grain pasta can be replaced with gluten-free noodles, or zucchini noodles. There are SO many options to make this recipe your own. Feeding a large family? Simply double the recipe. Cooking for one? This recipe makes great leftovers. If you don’t like reheated shrimp, you can simply cook one serving of shrimp separately.
Step one: Cook pasta according to package
Step Two: Saute Asparagus
Step Three: Saute Shrimp
Step Four: Combine all ingredients and enjoy!
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU TRY IT!
Don’t forget to share your creation on social media by tagging @nutritionwellnesslifestyle_ on Instagram!