REFRESHING, CRISP, SWEET —THE BEST SUMMER SALAD
Fruit in salads is the absolute best! The sweetness will have you hooked on salads. Plus, the bright colors go perfectly together. If you are wondering what salad to serve at your next get together or meal prep for the week to come, this is it!
Summer Chicken Sausage Salad
- 1 package mixed greens
- 2 chicken sausage cooked and sliced
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- 1/4 red onion sliced
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp poppyseeds
- 1/8 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, layer mixed greens, cooked chicken sausage, strawberries, red onion, and goat cheese.
- Whisk together poppyseed dressing by combining olive, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, poppyseeds, and salt. Mix well.
- Top salad with poppyseed dressing right before serving.
Love this recipe but want to individualize it to your unique body and nutritional needs?
Let’s connect and personalize it together! Get started HERE.
Tips for making this summer salad your own:
- Switch up the fruits: If strawberries aren’t your favorite or not available, try blueberries, peaches, raspberries, or blackberries. You can’t go wrong with any fruit combo!
- Mix and match fats: In this recipe most of the fat sources come from the goat cheese and poppyseed dressing. If you would like to make this dairy free, you can replace the goat cheese with nuts and Greek yogurt with mashed avocado.
- Don’t settle on one type of green: This recipe could be used with kale, spinach, romaine, etc. I love mixed greens because there are so many textures and flavors!
- Swap the protein source: This recipe calls for chicken sausage, but if you want to make it vegetarian you can easily swap the sausage for beans or lentils. Other protein sources include salmon, shrimp, tuna, or hard-boiled eggs!
Tips on Prepping Salad in advance
If you want to make this ahead of time, prep the dressing, chicken sausage, and berries. Keep separate in air tight containers. Place mixed greens in a bowl with red onions and goat cheese and cover. When ready to pack as a lunch or serve for friends and family, add all the ingredients together in a bowl. Serve with dressing on the side or pour over salad immediately before eating.
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU TRY IT!
Don’t forget to share your creation on social media by tagging @nutritionwellnesslifestyle_ on Instagram!