SALAD, SIDE, OR SALSA—THE PERFECT SUMMER RECIPE!
This recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser with the many different ways you can use it. Serve it as a salad, an appetizer with tortilla chips, sneak it into a quesadilla, or served as a side to an entree such as our Cajun Shrimp Skewers or Southwest Turkey Burgers. And the best part? It is super easy and quick to make!
Black Bean Veggie Salad
- 2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups corn fresh, frozen, or canned
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno diced (seeds removed for less heat)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado
- Place the black beans, corn, red onion, red bell pepper, orange bell pepper, jalapeno, and cilantro in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, honey, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the beans and veggies. Toss gently to coat. Serve cold.
- Note: The flavors come out more as it sits. I recommend placing in the refrigerator for one hour (or more) prior to serving. This recipe also makes great leftovers and is a wonderful cold meal prep lunch!
Love this recipe but want to individualize it to your unique body and nutritional needs?
Let’s connect and personalize it together! Get started HERE.
Easy + healthy = Win Win!
Not only can this recipe be used in so many different ways, but I also love it because it is vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, and makes a great salad to share with everyone at a summertime cookout or tailgate. It is colorful, fresh, and super healthy! This simple salad has so many favorite ingredients all in one bowl.
- Black beans
- Sweet corn
- Colorful bell peppers
- Red onion
- Spicy jalapeno
- Extra flavor from olive oil, garlic, chili powder, and cumin!
Tips for Making This Black Bean and Veggie Salad
- Drain AND rinse the black beans. I recommend buying “no salt added” or “low sodium” canned beans and vegetables. Unfortunately, I have found at my local grocery stores “no salt added” or “low sodium” canned beans are hard to find. If you aren’t able to purchase “no salt added” or “low sodium”, rinsing the beans really well can help decrease some of the sodium content.
- I personally love to use fresh sweet corn in this salad during the summertime. I prefer to cook the corn prior to putting it in the salad for some extra natural sweetness, but you can also add it to the salad raw. I also grilled the corn to add some “grill flavor”, but you can boil or even microwave the corn if you prefer to have it cooked. Raw or cooked, cut the corn kernels off with a sharp knife. If corn is out of season, you can used frozen or drained/rinsed canned corn.
- ANY color of bell pepper can be used in this salad. I opted for red and orange since this salad already had green and yellow (from the jalapeno and corn). Adding more color means adding more nutrients!
- I use red onion because I love the pop of color, but sweet onion or green onion would work too.
- Fresh lime juice and fresh cilantro really help boost the flavor in this salad. You can also use parsley, but the cilantro flavor really goes a long way!
- Fearful of fats? Do not…I repeat do not skip the olive oil. Olive oil is a fantastic source of antioxidants and unsaturated healthy fats. Olive oil is calorically dense, but as long as you measure it you will not be overdoing it. Olive oil really helps add flavor to this salad and truly brings this recipe together.
- I also add chili powder, cumin, garlic, and jalapeno to this recipe. If you don’t like heat you can omit the jalapeno.
- Wait to add the avocado right before serving to help preserve the color and texture. I serve the avocado on top, but you can also stir it in gently so it doesn’t get mashed up.
- Don’t forget the salt and pepper! Adding a small amount of salt can really help bring the flavors out!
Don’t forget to share!
Every single time I make this I get asked for the recipe. This recipe was originally given to me by my mom, who got it from her mom. It is so fun to pass a recipe down generation to generation and adjust it to your liking! My adjustments? I love a little spice and heat so I added a few extra seasonings (chili powder and cumin) and a jalapeno.
This salad can be easily doubled so if you are feeding a crowd, go ahead and double it because I guarantee it won’t last long!
This recipe also makes really good leftovers, as the flavors come out even more as it sits. I like to put it over a bed of lettuce and top it with grilled chicken for a hearty lunch or dinner. For gatherings, many people love to eat the salad with tortilla chips as an appetizer. It also is a great addition to a quesadilla, taco, or burger. The options are endless!
Don’t forget to share this Simple Black Bean Veggie Salad with your family and friends! It will become your favorite and theirs as soon the first bite is taken!
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU TRY IT!
Don’t forget to share your creation on social media by tagging @nutritionwellnesslifestyle_ on Instagram!