One skillet, simple ingredients, Short Cook Time… A keeper for sure!
I don’t know about you, but I need simple and quick recipes basically every day of the week. And when I say simple, I mean short prep/cook time, uncomplicated ingredients, and minimal dirty dishes. This One Pan Mexican Skillet checks ALL of those boxes. Let’s make it!!
The Ingredients/Swap outs
- garlic & onion: I LOVE garlic and onion…so as you have probably noticed, so many of my recipes start with olive oil, garlic, and onion. If you have a sensitivity to these items, feel free to omit or replace the flavor with garlic/onion powder.
- bell pepper: I love sneaking veggies into any type of dish. I prefer green and red in this recipe, but any color works great! The more veggies the better. Feel free to sneak additional in!
- ground beef: I do not fully take red meat out of my diet. But if you do, you can simply replace with ground turkey, ground chicken, lentils, or beans. NOTE: A lot of the flavor of this recipes comes from the beef. If you are swapping this ingredient out, you may need some additional flavor by adding extra garlic, onion, taco seasoning, or even an additional zing such as jalapeños.
- taco seasoning: I recommend using a low-sodium taco seasoning or homemade blend. You definitely don’t want to swap this one out!
- tomato sauce: This helps to give the skillet some added flavor and moisture. If you want some extra texture, you can always replace with diced tomatoes as well.
- green chiles: This is a great way to add a little extra flavor, without a lot of spice. If you like extra spice, feel free to add in jalapeños, as mentioned above.
- black beans: Beans are something I ALWAYS have them in my pantry because they are cheap, versatile, and a great source of protein and fiber. Black beans are my personal favorite in this recipe, but really any bean would work great!
- shredded cheese: Add as much or as little as you would like of this! If you are omitting dairy from your diet for any reason, feel free to skip this all together.
Step One: Saute Veggies
Step Two: Brown Meat and Add Taco Seasoning
Step Four: Stir in all Additional ingredients, Top with cheese, and enjoy!
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU TRY IT!
Don’t forget to share your image on social media by using the hashtag below and tagging @nuw_li. #nuwli.