Only one dish to clean for this satisfying Slow Cooker Recipe!
This Slow Cooker Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole is cheese, creamy, and the perfect comfort meal. It is quick to assemble and is made in the Slow Cooker…aka minimal mess and dishes. This casserole is perfect to serve on a cold winter’s night or whenever you’re in need of a healthier version of your favorite comfort meal. The whole family is guaranteed to love it!
Slow Cooker Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup long grain brown rice uncooked
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt I used 5%)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Add onion, brown rice, mustard, garlic, dried thyme, salt, pepper, and chicken broth to slow cooker. Stir until well combined.
- Add chicken to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- When there is 10-15 minutes left on the slow cooker, cook broccoli. To cook broccoli, steam it on the stove or in microwave for 3-5 minutes. Note: you can also add broccoli to the slow cooker at the beginning, but that will result in a softer veggie.
- While broccoli is cooking, remove chicken from the slow cooker and place on a cutting board. Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. You can also shred with two forks.
- Prior to putting the chicken back in the slow cooker, add the plain Greek yogurt and cheeses to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Add the cut chicken back into the slow cooker, along with the broccoli. Stir to combine.
- Serve warm.
Love this recipe but want to individualize it to your unique body and nutritional needs?
Let’s connect and personalize it together! Get started HERE.
The Ingredients and Recipe tips
- Brown Rice
- Slow cooked rice will have a slightly different texture than stove cooked rice, or rice cooked in a rice cooker. Cooking this on your slow cooker’s high setting will help it not become mushy, but it will have a softer, creamier texture. As of now I have only experimented with long grain brown rice, but feel free to experiment with your favorite grain of choice.
- If you want to keep it simple you can add the veggies called for, onion and broccoli. If you would like to add more vegetables, be my guest! The more the merrier. This recipe is versatile, so feel free to add or omit any veggies of your liking!
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- The rice absorbs most of the chicken broth, but you will have a little “extra” which will thicken when you mix in the Greek yogurt and cheese. Don’t have chicken broth on hand? You can simply replace with water. Although, the chicken broth also helps to give extra flavor.
- This recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken breast. Although, a rotisserie chicken also works wonders! When buying rotisserie chicken, double check to see if your store carries a low sodium option.
- This recipe is simple, short and sweet. The only items you need to have on hand are mustard, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. That’s it!
- Greek Yogurt
- These ingredients add loads of flavor and a little extra creaminess. Feel free to fully omit or replace for a dairy free yogurt of choice!
- Parmesan and Cheddar Cheese
- These ingredients add loads of flavor and a little extra creaminess. Feel free to fully omit or switch up with your favorite cheese of choice (dairy free works great too)!
Three steps is all it takes!
- Step One: Add onion, brown rice, mustard, garlic, dried thyme, salt, pepper, chicken broth and chicken to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- Step Two: Cook broccoli and cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Step Three: Stir in Greek yogurt and cheeses. Add chicken and broccoli back to slow cooker. Stir to combine and serve warm.
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU TRY IT!
Don’t forget to share your creation on social media by tagging @nutritionwellnesslifestyle_ on Instagram!