Easy, simple & healthy – perfect for dinner, cookouts, meal prep & more
This Southwest Turkey Burgers recipe is so flavorful and filling! Packed with spices and a hint of heat your mouth will be watering after the first bite! You can enjoy it as a traditional burger with sweet potato fries on the side, or enjoy them on a salad for a lighter, lower carb meal. This recipe also pairs well with a non-lettuce based side salad such as our Black Bean Veggie Salad. It is a family favorite no matter how you serve it!
Southwest Turkey Burgers
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 4 burger buns
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 tomato, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- In a large bowl add ground turkey, lime zest, chili powder, ground cumin oregano, salt, pepper, jalapeno, garlic, egg, and breadcrumbs. Mix well with a spoon or hands. Do not overmix.
- Form into 4 burgers, pressing together as firmly as you can. The mixture will be soft and slightly sticky.
- To fry: heat 1-2 tbsp olive oil in a large 12-inch frying pan over medium heat. Cook burgers for 4-5 minutes per side, until an internal temperature of 165 degrees F is reached.
- To grill: Heat grill to 450 degrees F. Carefully place the burgers on the grill and cook for 4 minutes per side. Remove from grill, cover with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes until an internal temperature of 165 degrees F is reached.
- Serve burger on a bun or bed of lettuce. Top with guacamole, tomato slices, onion slices. Enjoy!
*Nutrition info based on burger patty only. Bun/toppings not included. These nutrition figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in foods, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe.
Simple Ingredients only!
- Ground turkey (lean beef or chicken can also be used)
- Whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Seasonings: Lime zest, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper!
You may find you already have a lot of these ingredients on hand! The patties come together in no time once everything is mixed together.
Cooking Turkey Burgers
Unlike beef, you want to make sure you are cooking turkey burgers the entire way through. No rare turkey burgers here! Cooking time isn’t a safe way to determine when your turkey burgers are fully cooked. Use a meat thermometer and once the temperature reads 165° F, your burgers are done!
Ways to enjoy Southwest turkey burgers
- On a bun - look for whole grain, whole wheat, or sprouted grain for more fiber and nutrients!
- On top of salad greens
- With a side of our Black Bean Veggie Salad
- Mixed into a grain bowl —A favorite of mine includes brown rice, greens, sauteed bell peppers and onions, guacamole, and salsa.
- In a lettuce wrap, whole grain/sprouted grain wrap, or pita
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU TRY IT!
Don’t forget to share your image on social media by using the hashtag below and tagging @nuw_li. #nuwli.