PROTEIN, FIBER, HEALTHY FAT, FLAVOR – IT’S GOT IT ALL.
Packed with over 25 grams of protein and 9 grams of fiber per serving, this savory sweet potato breakfast hash is the perfect hearty breakfast, lunch, or dinner! This versatile recipe allows you to make it however you like- spice it up with jalapeno or mix up the veggies for a more colorful plate.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- 12 oz sweet potatoes (approx. 2 small potatoes) chopped
- 6 mini breakfast chicken sausage links chopped
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper (any color) chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato chopped
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 jalapeno sliced (optional)
- 3 eggs
- 1 bunch of chives chopped
- 1 avocado sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop potatoes, chicken sausage, and veggies, as described above.
- Heat cast iron skillet to medium heat. Add sweet potatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat to low, cover sweet potatoes, and cook until fork tender. Approximately 4-6 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Add chicken sausage. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add onion, bell pepper, tomato, and kale. Stir. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top with jalapeno slices, if preferred.
- Create 3 “nests” between potato mixture. Carefully pour eggs into each nest.
- Place cast iron skillet in the oven. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until egg yolks are cooked to your liking.
- Top with chives and avocado slices. Serve immediately.
Love this recipe but want to individualize it to your unique body and nutritional needs?
Let’s connect and personalize it together! Get started HERE.
Tips and Tricks for The Perfect Breakfast Hash
This recipe is so versatile and can be mixed up so easily! Here are a few tips to making your breakfast hash the BEST for you:
- Struggling to eat vegetables? This is a great way to sneak them in without you even knowing. By chopping the veggies finely, you won’t even be able to tell they are there! This specific recipe has peppers, onion, tomato, kale, and chives. The options are endless! Some other favorites include spinach, mushrooms, red onion, zucchini, and broccoli.
- Not a meat eater? You can easily omit the chicken sausage without having to replace it with anything. OR if you want more volume you could add extra veggies, tempeh, or tofu.
- Want more flavor? Feel free to switch up the spices or add additional ones such as red pepper flakes, basil, parsley, cumin, etc.
- Meal prepping? Although this is best enjoyed right away, you can make ahead and store in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. You can also make the base (stopping at step 8) and top with a fresh egg (any style- scrambled, poached, hard-boiled, etc.).
- Cooking for a larger family? This recipe is really easy to double. You could easily fit 6 eggs in this skillet if cooking for a larger family.
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU TRY IT!
Don’t forget to share your creation on social media by tagging @nutritionwellnesslifestyle_ on Instagram!